Dr. Mukesh Nandave
M. Pharm., Ph.D. (AIIMS), Postdoc (The OSU, USA)
Areas of Specialisation
Official Email Id
Office Phone No.
022-42332000 (Extn- 2035)
8.5 years (Industry – 2.5 years, Academics-6 years)
As an Associate Professor in Pharmacology, I am engaged in teaching to UG, PG and PhD students. Additionally carrying out research on govt. (DBT and DST) and industry (Dabur, Charak, Madhavbaug, Sandu etc.) funded research projects. Actively coordinated and contributed in organizing INSPIRE Science Camp (1-6 October, 2012), BPCON-2012 Conference (Nov. 2-3, 2012) and Indo-Canadian Symposium on ‘Herbal Omega-3 Fatty Acids’ (Nov. 3-4, 2012). Serving as BOS member, and examiner to Mumbai University, Mumbai and Gujrat Technology University, Ahmedabad. During postdoc, worked on NIH research projects and published research papers in international journals of repute. Initiated and coordinated clinical study start-up activities at Ranbaxy Laboratories, Gurgaon.
- Use of nutraceuticals, herbomineral formulations, plant extracts & constituents for
- Myocardial ischemia & reperfusion injury,
- Pain management.
- Oxidative stress, necrosis and apoptosis in myocardial infarction.
- Sirtuin1 (Sirt1) activation in ageing-related cardiovascular diseases.
- System Xc- antiporter inhibition in epileptogenesis
- Targeting AMPK, SIRT1, and cholesterol pathways for prevention of metabolic abnormalities-associated cancer
- Publications – Total number: 45 (International- 17, National-29)
- Book Chapters- 09
- Presentations- Total number: 30 (International-11, National-19)
- Government funded projects – Total number: 03
- Completed: 01
- Project entitled, “Discovery of Inhibitors of System Xc¯ Transporter, a Novel Therapeutic Target for Glutamate-Mediated Excitoxicity and Epileptogenesis” received grant of Rs. 18.16 lakh from DBT Neurobiology Task Force, New Delhi.
- Ongoing - 02
- Project entitled, “Isolation, Characterization and Evaluation of Anti-Inflammatory Compounds Isolated from Marine Sponges of Maharashtra Coastal Regions” received grant of Rs. 35.68 lakh from DBT, New Delhi.
- Project entitled, “Discovery of Small Molecule Activators of Sirtuin1 (SIRT1) For Cardioprotection” received grant of Rs. 17.50 lakh from DST, New Delhi
- Industry projects
- Completed: 03
- Project entitled, “Evaluation of Antinociceptive Effect of Natural Product in Experimental Models of Chronic Pain” received grant of Rs. 2.5 lakh from Charak Pharma, Mumbai.
- Project entitled, “Evaluation of Analgesic Activity of Herbo-Mineral Formulation In Formalin-Induced Experiment Model Of Pain” received grant of Rs. 1.1 lakh from Charak Pharma, Mumbai
- Project entitled, “Pharmacological Evaluation of Sedative & Hypnotic Activity of Polyherbal Formulation in Experimental Model of Rats” received grant of Rs. 1.0 lakh from Charak Pharma, Mumbai
- Project entitled, “Pharmacological Evaluation of Formulation for Antimicrobial and Anti-inflammatory Activity” received grant of Rs. 6 lakh from Dabur India Ltd., Ghaziabad.
- Project entitled, “Evaluation of Herbal Formulations in Animal Models of Thrombosis, Hyperlipidemia, Atherosclerosis, and Hypertension: Pharmacological and Molecular Studies” received grant of Rs. 10 lakh from Madhavbaug, a Cardiac Rehabilitation Center, Khopoli, Maharashtra.
- Project entitled, “Evaluation of Analgesic Activity of CPM Herbo-Mineral Formulation In Formalin-Induced Experiment Model Of Pain” received grant of Rs. 2.35 lakh from Charak Pharma, Mumbai.
He has guided 16 no. of M. Pharm. students for their research projects.
Two candidates are registered as Ph.D. candidates under his supervision.
- “Best Research Output of the Year 2014-2015 Award” of SVKM’s NMIMS University, Mumbai.
- “Best Research Output of the Year 2013-2014 Award” of SVKM’s NMIMS University, Mumbai.
- ICMR International Travel Grant to attend The Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology 2014 (ATVB-2014) held on May 01- 03, 2014 at Toronto, Canada.
- The Indus Foundation's “Award for Research Excellence” during Indo-Global Education Summit 2013, November 2013.
- “Maximum Consultancy Award 2012-13” by SVKM’s NMIMS University, August 2013.
- “Young Scientist International Travel Grant Award” by Department of Science and Technology (DST), December 2011.
- “Prof. Duggirala Visweswaram & Prof. Sreemantula Satyanarayana Prize” by Indian J of Pharmaceutical Education & Research, October 2008.
- “G. Achari Gold Medal (Best Young Pharmacologist)” by Indian Pharmacological Society at Kolkata, India, 14-16 January 2005.
- “Early Investigator Award” by International Society for Heart Research at XVIII World Congress, Brisbane, Australia, August 2004.
Life Member of
- International Society for Heart Research (ISHR)
- Indian Pharmacological Society (IPS)
- Association of Physiologist and Pharmacologist of India (APPI)
- Association of Pharmaceutical Teachers of India (APTI)
- Indian Pharmaceutical Association (IPA)
- Association of Pharmaceutical Teachers of India (APTI)
- Associate Member of International Academy of Cardiovascular Sciences (IACS)
- Patel D, Kharkar PS, Nandave M. Emerging roles of system Xc- antiporter and its inhibition in CNS disorders. Mol Membr Biol. 2015 Jun;32(4):89-116. (Impact Factor: 1.7)
- Rane RA, Nandave M*, Nayak S, Naik A, Shah D, Sahu NU. Synthesis and pharmacological evaluation of marine bromopyrrole alkaloid-based hybrids with anti-inflammatory activity. Arabian Journal of Chemistry, Published online on June 7, 2014 (Impact factor: 2.3). *Equal authorship
- Kamble P, Selvarajan K, Aluganti Narasimhulu C, Nandave M, Parthasarathy S.Aspirin may promote mitochondrial biogenesis via the production of hydrogen peroxide and the induction of Sirtuin1/PGC-1α genes. Eur J Pharmacol. 2013 Jan 15;699(1-3):55-61 (Impact factor: 2.50).
- Nandave M, Ojha SK, Kumari S, Nag TC, Mehra R, Narang R, Arya DS. Cardioprotective effect of root extract of Picrorhiza kurroa (Royle Ex Benth)against isoproterenol-induced cardiotoxicity in rats. Indian J Exp Biol. 2013 Sep;51(9):694-701 (Impact factor: 1.19).
- Shelke SH, Mhaske PC, Nandave M, Narkhade S, Walhekar NM, Bobade VD. Synthesis and pharmacological evaluation of a novel series of 3-aryl-2-(2-substituted-4-methylthiazole-5-yl)thiazolidin-4-one as possible anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial agents. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2012 Oct 15;22(20):6373-6 (Impact factor: 2.55).