Dr. Prashant Suresh Kharkar
M. Pharm. Sci., Ph. D. (Tech.)
Areas of Specialisation
Official Email Id
Office Phone No.
022-42332000 (Extn- 2028)
13 yrs (Industry – 9 years, Academics – 4 years)
Drug discovery professional with expertise in Medicinal Chemistry and Computer-aided Molecular Design (CAMD) and Molecular Modeling. Managed discovery projects (metabolic disorders, cancer, pain, inflammation) in the lead identification and optimization stages. Managed interactions with team members from other disciplines & delivered all project goals in time. Currently working with SPP School of Pharmacy and Technology Management as Associate Professor, Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry.
- Design and synthesis of new chemical entities (NCEs) as therapeutic agents
- Drug repositioning/repurposing
- Design and development of novel fluorescent probes and their biomedical applications
- Development of novel excipients and their pharmaceutical and material sciences applications
- Process development of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs)
- Development and validation of Analytical Methods
- Impurity profiling
- Publications – 29 (International - 27, National- 02)
- Book Chapters- 04
- Presentations- 33 (International- 23, National- 10)
- Government funded projects – 02
o Discovery of Inhibitors of System Xc¯ Transporter, a Novel Therapeutic Target for Glutamate-Mediated Excitoxicity and Epileptogenesis (DBT/NTF) (Reference No. BT/PR4605/MED/30/719/2012) (Rs. 18.16 lakhs) (September 2012-August 31, 2015 (Co-PI)
o Design and Development of Novel Inhibitors of Inosine 5’-Monophosphate Dehydrogenase II (IMPDH II) as Anti-inflammatory Agents (DST/SERB) (Sanction Order No. SERB/F/60/2014-15 dated 09.04.2014) (Total Outlay Rs. 26,00,000/-) (May 28, 2014-May 27, 2017)(PI)
- Targeting Therapy-resistant Cancer Stem Cells (BIPP/BIRAC/DBT) (Total Outlay Rs. 1.5 Cr) (Collaborator) (Along with Godavari Biorefineries Ltd., Mumbai)
- Industry projects - 02
o Comparative Evaluation of Microcrystalline Cellulose obtained from Bagasse (MCC-B) with Pharmaceutical Grade MCC. Consultancy Project sponsored by Godavari Biorefineries Ltd., Mumbai. (Total Outlay Rs. 90,000/-) (February 1 – April 30, 2015) (PI)
o Development of Novel Anti-Cancer Stem Cell (CSC) Therapeutics. Consultant to Godavari Biorefineries Ltd., Mumbai (Total Outlay Rs. 4,00,000/-) (December 15, 2015-December 14, 2016). (Consultancy)
He has guided 26 M. Pharm. students for their research projects.
He has three PhD students registered under his supervision.
- Indian National Science Academy (INSA) deputation under International Collaboration and Exchange Programme to University of Mauritius, Mauritius (2016)
- Best e-Presentation Award at the Virtual Conference on Computational Chemistry (VCCC)-2014 organized by University of Mauritius, Mauritius (August 1-31, 2014)
- Best Poster Award at International Conference on Pure and Applied Chemistry (ICPAC)-2014, Mauritius (June 2014)
- 2nd Prize in Oral Presentation at Manshodhan-IV (December 2013)
- DST Foreign Travel Grant for presenting research work at Gordon Research Conference on Bioorganic Chemistry, Andover, USA. (June 2013)
- 2nd Prize in Oral Presentation at Manshodhan-III (December 2012)
- All India Rank 1 at the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE)-1998 examination. Score : 99.96 percentile
- K. C. Mahindra Talent Scholarship for securing 1st rank in T. Y. and Final Yr. B. Pharm.(1997-98)
- National Merit Scholarship for securing 90 % in S. S. C.
- University Grants Commission – Junior Research Fellowship award (1998)
- University Grants Commission – Senior Research Fellowship award (2000)
- Chemical Structure Association (CSA) Trust Grant 2003 (US $ 1000) for presenting poster overseas.
- Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) Foreign Travel Grant for presenting research paper at a Conference in Australia
- Member, Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
- Association of Pharmaceutical Teachers of India (APTI) – Life Membership (December 2012)
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Molecular Graphics and Modeling Society (MGMS) (2014-15)
- Kharkar, Prashant S.; Ramasami, Ponnadurai; Choong, Yee Siew; Rhyman, Lydia; Warrier, Sona. Discovery anti-Ebola drugs: a computational drug repositioning case study. RSC Adv. 2016, 6, 26329–26340. (Impact Factor (2014): 3.840)
- Sahu, Nitesh; Kharkar Prashant S. Computational Drug Repositioning: A Lateral Approach to Traditional Drug Discovery? Curr. Top. Med. Chem. 2016 (Published on the web). (Impact Factor (2014): 3.402)
- Chhabria, Sagar V.; Akbarsha, Mohammad A.; Li, Albert P.; Kharkar, Prashant S., Desai, Krutika B. In situ Allicin Generation Using Targeted Alliinase Delivery for Inhibition of MIA PaCa-2 Cells via Epigenetic Remodeling, Oxidative Stress and Cyclin-Dependent Kinase Inhibitor (CDKI) Expression. Apoptosis 2015, 20(10), 1388-1409. (Impact Factor (2014): 3.685)
- Shah, Chetan P.; Kharkar, Prashant S. Inosine 5’-Monophosphate Dehydrogenase (IMPDH) Inhibitors as Antimicrobial Agents: Recent Progress and Future Perspectives. Fut. Med. Chem. 2015, 7(11), 1415-1429. (Impact Factor (2014): 3.744)