Dr. Yogesh Anant Kulkarni
Assistant Professor, Chairperson- D.Pharm. Programme
Section Head, Department of Pharmacognosy
M. Pharm., Ph.D.
+91-022-42332000 (Extn- 2038)
- Phytopharmacology focusing on diabetes, diabetic complications, inflammation and nociception.
- Toxicity of natural products
- Standardization of natural products
- Herbal formulations and cosmetics
- Publications – 43 (International- 35, National- 08)
- Books- 04
- Book Chapters - 11
- Presentations- 39 (International- 27, National-12)
- Government funded projects – 03
- Completed -01
“Development of Model for Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease Based on Ayurvedic Principles” funded by Department of AYUSH, Govt. of India. Rs. 5 lakhs. (Co-Principal Investigator).
- Ongoing - 02
“Effect of B. varegata (Caesalpiniaceae): a phytomedicine in diabetes and its complications” funded by Department of Science & Technology (DST), Govt. of India, Rs. 35 lakhs. (Principal Investigator).
- “Preclinical Studies on Triphala for its Possible Effects in Treatment of Microvascular Complications of Diabetes” funded by Ministry of AYUSH, Govt. of India. Rs. 36.64 lakhs. (Principal Investigator).
- Industry projects - 02
- Completed - 02
Memory enhancing activity of plant extracts in rat model, Marico Pvt. Ltd. Mumbai. Rs. 2.1 lakhs (Co-Principal Investigator).
- Evaluation of some actives & polyherbal formulations for hair growth promoting activity (Pilot Study). (Co-Principal Investigator). Marico Pvt. Ltd. Mumbai. 0.25 lakh
Conferences/Workshops/Seminars attended - 53
He has guided 19 M.Pharm. students for their research projects.
Two candidates are registered for PhD under his supervision.
- Received Best Research Output Award (Year 2015-2016), SVKM’s NMIMS (Deemed to be University), SPP School of Pharmacy & Technology Management, Mumbai.
- Received travel grant from Science & Engineering Research Board (SERB), Govt. of India for attending conference Pharmacology 2014 organized by British Pharmacological Society, London, UK.
- Guest edited a Special Issue for the journal “Pharmaceutical Crops” by Bentham Science Publishers. The theme of the special issue was “Diabetes, Diabetic Complications and Natural Products”. The issue was published in November 2014.
- Received Best Faculty Award for the year 2012-2013 from SVKM’s NMIMS, Mumbai.
- Received INSPIRE Faculty Award 2012 from Department of Science & Technology (DST), Govt. of India.
- Selected by the American Biographical Institute for Sir Isaac Newton Scientific Award of Excellence For 2012.
- Admitted as Fellow of Academy of Sciences for Animal Welfare in 2012.
The academy of Sciences for Animal Welfare is working for prevention of cruelty, enhancement of animal health and use of minimum animals for Research & Development. The academy is approved body of Animal Welfare Board which is under Ministry of Environment and Forests, Govt. of India.
- Listed as Member (Biography) of MARQUIS Who's Who in the World 2012, USA.
- Invited as Chairperson for Symposium : Pharmacotherapeutics of hypertension at BPCON 2012, 22nd Annual Conference of Indian Society of Hypertension, Mumbai.The Symposium was sponsored by Abbott pvt. Ltd.
- Received grant under “International Travel Support Scheme” from “Department of Science & Technology (DST), Govt. of India” under Young Scientist category for attending Experimental Biology 2011 at Washington DC, USA,
- Received travel grant from “All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE)”, New Delhi, India” for attending 29th Annual meeting of American College of Toxicology, Tucson, Arizona, USA.
- Received “Sir Ratan Tata Trust Scholarship”.
- Received scholarship for Post Graduate Studies from “All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE)”, New Delhi, India.
- American Society of Pharmacology & Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET), USA
- British Pharmacological Society, UK.
- American College of Toxicology (ACT), USA.
- Indian Pharmacological Society (IPS)-Life Member
- Society of Toxicology, India (STOX)-Life Member
- Association of Pharmaceutical Teachers of India (APTI)- Life Member
- Laboratory Animal Scientist’s Association (LASA), India- Life Member
- Association of Toxicology (AoT), India- Life Member
- Indian Pharmacist’s Association- Life Member
- Nutrition Society of India, Life Member
- Indian Society of Pharmacognosy (ISP)- Life Member
- Yogesh A. Kulkarni, Mayuresh S. Garud (2017). Eugenol ameliorates renal damage in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Flavour and Fragrance Journal. 32,54-62. (Impact Factor-1.693). DOI: 10.1002/ffj.3357
- Almesh Kadakol, Nisha Sharma, Yogesh A. Kulkarni, Anil Bhanudas Gaikwad (2016). Esculetin: A phytochemical endeavor fortifying effect against non-communicable diseases. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy. 84: 1442–1448. (Impact factor: 2.326). DOI: dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biopha.2016.10.072
- Yogesh A. Kulkarni, Mayuresh S. Garud, (2016). Bauhinia variegata (Caesalpiniaceae) leaf extract: An effective treatment option in type I and type II diabetes. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy. 83:122-129. DOI: dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biopha.2016.06.025 (Impact factor: 2.326).
- Manisha J. Oza and Yogesh A. Kulkarni (2016). Phytochemicals and complications in type 2 diabetes-an update. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 7(1): 14-24. DOI: 10.13040/IJPSR.0975-8232.7(1).14-24
- Anuradha Pandey, Vajir Malek, Visakh Prabhakar, Yogesh Aanat Kulkarni, Anil Bhanudas Gaikwad (2015). Nanoparticles: A Neurotoxicological Perspective. CNS & Neurological Disorders - Drug Targets. 14(10): 1317- 1327. DOI: 10.2174/1871527314666150821112411. (Impact Factor-2.628)
- Yogesh A. Kulkarni, Mayuresh S. Garud (2015). Effect of Bauhinia variegata Linn. (Caesalpiniaceae) extract in streptozotocin induced type I diabetic rats. Oriental Pharmacy and Experimental Medicine. 15:191–198. DOI: 10.1007/s13596-015-0186-6.
- Pravin Shende, Yogesh A. Kulkarni, R. S. Gaud, Kiran Deshmukh, Roberta Cavalli, Francesco Trotta and Fabrizio Caldera (2015). Acute and Repeated Dose Toxicity Studies of Different β-Cyclodextrin-Based Nanosponge Formulations. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 104:1856–1863. DOI: 10.1002/jps.24416. (Impact Factor-3.007).
- Vikash S. Makadiya, Yogesh A. Kulkarni, Kishori G. Apte (2015). Acute and 28 days repeated dose oral toxicity of Bauhinia variegata (Caesalpiniaceae) stem bark extract. Journal of Herbs, Spices & Medicinal Plants. 21:161–172.
- Rajesh A. Rane, Shital S. Napahde, Pavan Kumar Bangalore, Niteshkumar U. Sahu, Nishant Shah, Yogesh A. Kulkarni, Kalyani Barve, Leena Lokare and Rajshekhar Karpoormath (2014). Synthesis and evaluation of novel marine bromopyrrole alkaloid-based derivatives as potential antidepressant agents. Chemical Biology and Drug Design. (Accepted).
- Mayuresh S. Garud, Yogesh A. Kulkarni (2014). Hyperglycemia to nephropathy via transforming growth factor beta. Current Diabetes Reviews. 10, 182-189.
- Yogesh A. Kulkarni, Ritesh Panjabi, Vishvas Patel, Aditi Tawade, Alok Gokhale (2013). Effect of Gmelina arborea Roxb. in experimentally induced inflammation and nociception. Journal of Ayurveda & Integrative Medicine, 4(3): 152-157.
- Yogesh Anant Kulkarni, Addepalli Veeranjaneyulu (2013). Effects of Gmelina arborea extract on experimentally induced diabetes. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine, 6(8): 602-608.
- Manisha J. Oza, Mayuresh S. Garud, Anil Bhanudas Gaikwad And Yogesh A. Kulkarni (2017). Fibromyalgia Syndrome: Role of Obesity and Nutrients. In: Nutrition And Functional Foods For Healthy Aging. Academic Press: Elsevier, USA. Pp. 53-63.
- N. Sharma, A.B. Gaikwad, Y.A. Kulkarni (2017). Folic Acid in Pain: An Epigenetic Link. In: Nutritional Modulators of Pain in the Aging Population. Academic Press: Elsevier, USA. Pp. 245-251.
- Y.A. Kulkarni, S.V. Suryavanshi, S.T. Auti, A.B. Gaikwad (2017). Capsicum: A Natural Pain Modulator. In: Nutritional Modulators of Pain in the Aging Population. Academic Press: Elsevier, USA. Pp. 107-118.
- M.S. Garud, M.J. Oza, A.B. Gaikwad, Y.A. Kulkarni (2017). Natural Remedies for Treatment of Cancer Pain. In: Nutritional Modulators of Pain in the Aging Population. Academic Press: Elsevier, USA. Pp. 101-106.
- Y.A. Kulkarni, M.S. Garud, M.J. Oza, A.B. Gaikwad (2017). Biomarkers of Multiple Sclerosis and Their Modulation by Natural Products. Nutrition and Lifestyle. In: Neurological Autoimmune Diseases: Multiple Sclerosis. Academic Press: Elsevier, USA. Pp. 275-284.
- Yogesh A. Kulkarni, Mayuresh S. Garud, Manisha J. Oza, Kalyani H. Barve, Anil B. Gaikwad (2016). Diabetes, diabetic complications, and flavonoids. In: Fruits, Vegetables, and Herbs, Academic Press: Elsevier, USA. Pp. 77-104.
- Yogesh A. Kulkarni, Mayuresh S. Garud, R.S. Gaud, Anil B. Gaikwad (2016). Recent developments in using plant-derived natural products as tubulin inhibitors for the management of cancer. In: Fruits, Vegetables, and Herbs, Academic Press: Elsevier, USA. Pp. 507-524.
- Kalyani H. Barve, Yogesh A. Kulkarni, Anil B. Gaikwad (2016). Nutraceuticals as therapeutic agents for inflammation. In: Fruits, Vegetables, and Herbs, Academic Press: Elsevier, USA. Pp. 121-147.
- Anuradha Pandey, Yogesh A. Kulkarni, Anil B. Gaikwad (2016). Curcumin: The epigenetic therapy. In: Fruits, Vegetables, and Herbs, Academic Press: Elsevier, USA. Pp. 105-119.
- Yogesh A. Kulkarni, Mayuresh S. Garud and Kalyani H. Barve (2015). Neurodegenerative Disorders and Natural Products: A Contemplation. In: Natural Products: Research Reviews, Vol. 3, Daya Publishing House, New Delhi, India.
- Kulkarni Y.A, Warrier S., Makadiya V. (2013). Bauhinia variegata (Caesalpiniaceae): A Review of its Traditional Uses, Pharmacognosy, Phytochemistry, Pharmacology and Analysis. In: Bioactive Phytochemicals: Perspectives for Modern Medicine, Vol. 2, Daya Publishing House, New Delhi, India.